Where Ladybugs Roar

Confessions and Passions of a Compulsive Writer

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Squeezing the Lemon by Hand so that Nasty Pulpy Lemon Guts Squish Through Your Fingers and Burn in Cuts

Voila! Lemonade.

Diana told me about a query tracker contest at 4 pm today that was open to the first 70 entrants. First five pages and synopses of a YA book read by an agent. It opened at 6 pm and was closed to entrants by 6:02pm. Seventy people got in the contest in two minutes.

Guess who got in?

Well, this would be a lame story if it wasn't me, wouldn't it?

It would be a better story if both Di and I got in.

Still--that's the nasty pulpy bits.

I GOT IN!!!

I did it! I did it! I did it!

Now, I've jinxed it, but I don't care.

I used Re: Straint. I had to cut a two page synopsis down to one page. (Agony. Agony.)

It was a serious rush of adrenalin. Woo, baby!

Now, I'm just back to waiting--again.

BTW, Di, I put it as a YA Science Fiction. (I was under the gun and nearly gibbering in my excited rush.)

Yay! I got in. I got in.

It's me against seventy other people. Phew. Fingers crossed.

11 comments:

  1. Hurray Wendy! So glad for you... my fingers are crossed too!

    Hopefully this will help you feel a little better, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for you for getting in! I'm sending you good luck vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah! (That's the Kool-Aid Man "Oh yeah!" btw). I know you're going to stand out in this contest, in fact-- no, I don't want to further jinx anything but you already know how awesome I know this story is. The opening is so adorable and original, and YA Science Fiction is perfect.

    I'm on pins and needles for you, Wendy. I keep checking the querytracker site, knowing full well that it's going to be a long way yet. But still!! Excitement. Enthusiasm. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Good luck! *crossing fingers*

    Lynnette Labelle
    http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!!! I'm excited to be one among seventy. It feels rare to have those kind of odds in a contest for writers.

    Hey, Lynnette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fantastic, Wendy! I'm really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete